Smoked Southern Pork Chops
- Brine Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of ice water
- 4 farm raised pork chops
- Rub Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder onion powder, pepper, and ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin and chipotle pepper
For the brine:
1. In saucepan, combine salt, sugar and 2 cups of water. Cook on medium heat until salt and sugar are dissolved.
2. Remove from the heat and add the 2 cups of ice water.
3. Add chops to the brine and completely cover (either in a large bowl or a resealable plastic bag.
4. Refrigerate 8-12 hours.
Add the rub:
1. Combine the rub ingredients.
2. Remove chops from brine and discard brine.
3. Rub the seasonings on both sides of the chops.
4. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
5. Smoke them on a low heat for about 3 hours. (Mesquite wood is wonderfully complementary to this rub!)